Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I might change my mind...

Previously I stated that I was going to go with the Glock 19 (or perhaps G26) for my personal carry weapon. I still maintain that it is a fine firearm and will absolutely stand the test of time, over and over again.

However, the more I handle one and really try and get the feel of it and what it would be like to carry it I get more and more disheartened.

It is a block of metal, it is heavy and bulky. I just can't get over the feeling that would be inconvenient to carry with me. I think it would be, but I didn't see any other options which would fit the bill.

I looked at the XD, the M&P, so on and so forth and either the slide was too tall (XD) or the grip was ridiculously too short (M&P) or it was just too fat (G19, XD).
I couldn't land on one that really fit well in my hand.

I looked at some smaller single stack pistols, Kahr CV9, Kel Tec PF9, the P11 and so on, but those were lacking in heft (Kahr) or didn't feel very "finished" as in the Kel Tec.

Then I stumbled upon the Ruger SR9c. Now this one, to me, and again your perception may vary, seems to fit all my criterion and be a big winner.

It is in 9mm, holds 10+1 (same as the G26) comes with a second extended map (12 rounds I believe). It has a drop trigger, meaning there is an internal safety that won't allow the striker to release unless the trigger is pulled, it also has an unobtrusive manual safety on it. I don't think I would need the manual safety if it has a drop trigger...just my 2 cents.

The grip is thin and well fitting, the slide is relatively free of clutter, the pistol weighs more than a Glock, M&P, or XD, but it doesn't feel heavy. In fact, it feels better than the Glock so far as weigh is concerned.

The slide is much thinner than any of the other big three I named which while most assuredly assist me in concealment and consistent carry. It has a low bore axis which means the barrel is low in the frame which means less felt recoil, which is a huge advantage over the XD.

The grip is just a hair longer than the others out of the box, so I wouldn't have to worry about getting a +2 mag extender as I would for the other sub-compacts.

Not to mention the fact that its a Ruger. They make a fine pistol. Some people are brand loyal and will only buy M&Ps or XDs or Sig Sauers, and that's fine. I am of the opinion, though, that if it works and works well, I don't care who makes it, assuming that it isn't some company I've never heard of that has spotty workmanship.

Top that all off with the fact that its over $100.00 cheaper than the next "brand name" compact out there and you have a recipe for success. I can get a lot of ammo for $100.00.

I'm going to be looking at it more and more and getting the feel for it and I'll keep everyone posted, but initial impressions are very favorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment