Search This Blog

Thursday, March 11, 2010

When to carry...

This one is one of the most complicated conundrums in all of CCW.
When should I carry?

Well, some people say that you should carry 100% of the time. They carry in to Post Offices, they carry everywhere! Personally, I think that's a bit much and in direct conflict with being a law abiding citizen. I can understand their point, but still... that just doesn't work for me.

I've made the personal choice to abide by the wishes of local merchants and not carry in their establishments if they post a sign. I've also made the economic choice not to be a patron of those establishments either. My Grocery store doesn't have a sign on it, so I'm good, the restaurants I go to don't either. If they serve alcohol, I can't carry in there due to the law, so it isn't the establishment's policy, its the state law. So, I cut those places a break and still eat there.

I just prefer to spend my money in places that kind of lean my way, know what I mean?

I will always carry when I ride my motorcycle. Its pretty easy to step up to a guy on a bike and he not know you're there and I ride solo a lot, so safety first; armored jacket, kevlar gloves, DOT approved helmet, boots that cover the ankle, cell phone, gun... good to go. And it is extremely easy to carry concealed on a bike.

I will always carry on long road trips either alone or with the wife. My state has reciprocity with 30 other states, and anywhere I'd drive to is covered, so I'm good to go. Bad things happen in rest stops all the time.

I'll also carry 100% of the time on the weekends. I don't have to keep it in my truck like I would going to work, etc, so its easier to just strap on and go.

So, to sum up, carry as often as you feel comfortable.
I would suggest carrying as often as you can. If you only carry 20% of the time, that's 20% more than you were, so its all good. But a high percentage of the time would be better... again, its a personal choice, all up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment