Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

You have a decision to make...part 2

As I said, there are several things that change when you take this step.
The topic for this post is clothing. Yup, you guessed it, you can't always wear the same things if you carry concealed.

For me, and anyone who knows me knows this to be true, I 100% of the time have a belt on and 100% of the time have my shirt tucked in and about 90% of the time I wear and undershirt. More often than not I wear boots on the weekends.

Will this have to change? You betcha.

They don't make an easily accessible CCW holster that can be completely concealed based on how I normally dress myself. They make ankle holsters, but with boots, that's another step I have to go through to access my weapon. The order would be: bend down, pull up pant leg, reach in to boot, retrieve weapon, get on target, stage the trigger, maintain sight picture and stand up. And I would have to do all that in a matter less than 1.5 seconds.

Why 1.5 seconds you ask? The average time for a non-law enforcement type person to draw, get on target and discharge a round is about 1.5 seconds. An average person can close a gap of 21 feet in that time. So, if they are closer than 21 feet, I'm toast. So the ankle holster wouldn't be a good choice. It could be a last ditch choice, or a place to carry when I'm on a long trip or in an unfamiliar city driving around, but not a walking around town option.

Ok, so that leave the "IWB" or In the Waist Band holster. Well...the grip of your firearm will protrude and SHOULD protrude from the top of your waistline. This allows for you to get a solid grip on the weapon before drawing.

Well, tucking your shirt in, for the most part, kind of defeats the "concealed" portion of the show, doesn't it? And yes, there are holsters out there that are "tuck in" holsters. But for me, that wouldn't work. I don't blouse out my shirts when they are tucked in, I keep them pretty darn taut.

So, what option does that leave me? I have to untuck my outer shirt. Is it a big change? No, of course not. Is it going to take some getting used to? You bet it will.

Also, for you ladies, if you like tighter fitting pants and shirts, well, those are things you'll have to consider. Men have no compunction about buying a size 42 waist band for jeans, if they know that it serves a purpose. Heck, I'd be willing to revert to sansibelt slacks, if I knew my weapon wouldn't print (show through) while I was wearing them.

I know women who won't even shop at certain stores because that store has clothes marked as size 4, and this store over here calls the same thing a size 2, and they would NEVER admit to buying a size 4, or 6, or whatever.

Now, some women will say "I could keep it in my purse" and yes, yes you can. However, ladies, I've seen inside your purses... Jimmy Hoffa could be in there and you'd never be able to find him. In a moment of panic you need to have it in ONE specific place, so you can remember where it is and be trained to go to it instinctively every time. Rooting around in your purse, taking your eyes off the threat, drawing, getting back on target, etc... that will take more then 1.5 seconds.

Could you carry a larger weapon that you can find in your purse? Yes, you sure can. But a mid to full size weapon weighs anywhere from 15 oz up to 2 full pounds. That will start wearing you down and that will stop you from carrying. Your decision, of course, but you see where I'm heading.

Again, these are just a few of the decisions that one has to make when they decide to carry concealed. Heck, this is just how to decide what to WEAR... You can see why this is a doosie of a decision and not to be taken lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment