Search This Blog

Thursday, March 11, 2010

If I get pulled over...

What do I do?!? I got pulled over by the police, I am currently armed and if memory serves me right the Police like to go home at the end of their shift so an average citizen with a gun can make them jumpy.

So...what do I do?!?

I've read every single police blog I can get access to and they all pretty much agree on the process here. Again, I'm not a cop...I'm paraphrasing.

1. If it is night time, turn on your interior lights
2. Roll down your windows, yes all of them.
3. Turn off your radio
4. Turn off your car
5. Some officers like the keys to be out of the ignition.
6. Be polite and respectful (This is a HUGE thing to officers)
7. When the officer asks for your documents, tell him/her where they are located BEFORE you reach for them.
8. Hand the officer your CCW with your other documents.
9. Tell them you are carrying a firearm currently and where you have it located.
10. Relax! You aren't breaking the law by carrying, you will be just fine.

Some of these items are self explanatory, some aren't.
Turning on the lights helps them be more at ease because they can see in the car and see who all the players are. Rolling down all of your windows...same principle.
Turn off the radio, otherwise, that's just rude, in my opinion.

The reason I say wait for the police officer to ask for documents before you get them is because the police don't like furious digging around in glove boxes or seat cushions as they walk up to a car. They don't know what you're reaching for and they may act accordingly. Which could lead to either a stern talking to, or you pulled out of the car by your ear. You never know so just wait. The officer has got all the time in the world and you are currently his/her number one priority. The extra 15 seconds to get your documents isn't going to make him/her late for his next appointment.

Identify yourself as a CCW holder and if you are carrying (which you should be) you had BETTER let the officer know that you are and where its located. Then by golly, once the officer knows that you are carrying and where it is you keep your hands FIRMLY attached to the steering wheel unless directly asked to do differently.

I feel that I should expound on "Identify yourself as a CCW".
Don't holler at them "I have a gun!". I can't imagine that will go well.
Calmly and succintly state "Officer I am a CCW holder and am currently carrying, it is located in my waistband/ankle/center console, etc". Also DON'T, for the love of God and all things cute and furry DRAW YOUR WEAPON!!! I've read stories of people who have pulled their weapon to show the police that they are armed. Think about that for a moment... See the problem with that? You do? Good. You don't? Um, maybe you shouldn't be carrying then, seriously.

Again, catching bad guys is their job, their focus is on safety. You get squirrely and look like your reaching...well you get the picture.

If you do these things odds are everything will be just fine. Remember attitude is everything. If you do something galactically stupid and end up being pulled from the car and they cuff you (for their safety) and they search you (again for their safety) and they discover you have a weapon and you didn't tell them about it...well, I can't speak for them because I'm not a cop, but I can tell you how I would feel if it were me. I'd be friggin pissed. Not to mention that in my state you are obligated to inform an officer if he/she is meeting with you in a professional capacity. Failure to do as such is bad ju-ju.

You are within your right if you have a legally obtained CCW they can't jack you up and take the weapon for no reason. If you act the fool or, I shudder to mention it, a DUI, you're gonna lose your right to carry. It's that simple.

Be cool, be calm, be polite and you'll be on your way in no time.

Be safe out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment